Chapter History

Founding member, Matt Hawkins, reinstated Penn State Phi Beta Lambda, Mu Alpha Rho Chapter, in 2006. Under the Penn State Smeal College of Business, this club has become a premier organization that offers professional networking and career preparation opportunities. PBL offers all majors at Penn State the opportunity to advance their business and professional education beyond the classroom. Penn State PBL is a co-ed business fraternity and is under the governing body of the Smeal College of Business: Business Fraternity Council alongside four other organizations.

 

Penn State PBL has three pillars: professional, philanthropic, and social. We believe that these three components contain the necessary skillset required for all working professionals both in their careers and in their everyday lives. We strive as an organization to let our knowledge and ethics shine through in everything we do.

FBLA & PBL History

1940

Hamden L. Forkner of Teachers College, Columbia University in New York City, proposes to business teachers across the country that a national organization is needed for the thousands of business clubs in the nation's high schools and colleges.

The National Council for Business Education sponsors the proposed student organization. Committees are appointed to formulate the organization's general plans. The name "Future Business Leaders of America" is selected for the organization.

1937

An experimental chapter is chartered in Johnson City, Tennessee on February 3. By the end of the year, 39 chapters are added, and another 38 chapters join over the next four years.

1942

The national center for FBLA is established at the National Education Association Center in Washington, D.C.

1946

Iowa becomes the first FBLA state chapter.

1947

The postsecondary division, Phi Beta Lambda is created. The University of Northern Iowa is the first PBL chapter.

1958

FBLA-PBL., Inc. appoints Edward D. Miller as the association's first full-time executive director.

1973

The Board of Directors approves establishment of the FBLA-PBL Alumni Division. Phil Goldfeder starts the Penn State chapter of Phi Beta Lambda, which was the second official business fraternity on campus.

1979

The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation purchases 1.6 acres of land in the Center for Educational Associations, Reston, Virginia, as the site for a future FBLA-PBL National Center.

1981

FBLA annual membership tops 200,000 for the first time.

1987

The grand opening of the FBLA-PBL National Center is held.

1991

The FBLA-Middle Level division is formed for students in grades 5-9.

1994

Edward D. Miller retires as President and chief executive officer of the national association. Jean Buckley is appointed president and chief executive officer.

1997

2006

Matthew Hawkins reactivates Mu Alpha Rho Chapter of Phi Beta Lambda of Penn State.